MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME IN ENGLISH
Term End Examination December, 2019
MEG-2 : BRITISH DRAMA
Time : 3 hours
Maximum Marks : 100
Answer question no. 1. which is compulsory and attempt any four from the remaining questions. ALL questions carry equal marks
1. Critically comment on any four of the following passages, with reference to the context, in about 150 words each :
(a) that this too, too solid flesh would melt
Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew,
Or that the Everlasting had not fix’d
His canon ‘gainst self-slaughter!
(b) I shall make a duchess of this draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(c) Now. Faustus, must thou needs be darnn’d ?
Canst. thou not be sav’d ‘? Despair in God, and trust in Beelzebub.
No”‘ go not backward, Faustus; be resolute :
Why ,vaverest thou ?
(d) They know and do not know, what it is to act or suffer.
They know and do not know, that action is suffering
And suffering is action. Neither does the actor suffer
Nor the patient act. But both are fixed …
(e) Will you believe antiquity? Records ?
I’ll shew you a book, where Moses and his sister,
And Solomon have written of the art;
Ay, and a treatise penn’d by Adam
2. Discuss the differences between Shakespearean comedy and Jonsonian co111tldy with reference to the prescribed plays in your course. 20
Critically examine Doctor Faustus as a tragedy of human heroism.
3. Discuss the notions of martyrdom and temptation with reference to modern times in Eliot’s Murder in the Cathedral. 20
Comment on the use of the play within the play in Midsummer Night’s Dream.
4. Discuss the significance of Hamlet’s soliloquies with reference to the soul-searching he undergoes. 20
The Playboy of the Western World illustrates the changed concept of comedy in the modern world. Discuss.
5. Pygmalion examines class and gender difference in a comic perspective. Critically comment. 20
Samuel Beckett’s Waiting for Godot presents before us the existentialist crisis of modern man. Comment.
6. Critically examine the concept of the angry young man with reference to the character of Jimmy in Look Back in Anger. 20
Exnniine the concept of tragic flaw with reference to Elizabethan tragedy.
7. Write short notes on any two of the following in about 200 words each : 2x10=20
(a) Laertes-Hamlet Clash
(b) Renaissance Comedy
(c) Class Conflict in Shaw’s Drama
(d) Poetic Drama
Download This Question Paper
Download MA English Question Papers of Previous Term End ExamsIGNOU MA English