IGNOU BCA AND BCOM SOLVED ASSIGNMENT 2017-18
MEG-04: ASPECTS OF LANGUAGE SOLVED ASSIGNMENT
Assignment Code: MEG-04/TMA/2017-18
1. Write short notes on any two of the following:
i Theories of the Origin of Language.
ii The Great Vowel Shift.
iii Criteria for classification of consonants.
2. The difference between simple, complex and compound words.
Write in detail, giving examples whenever appropriate, on stress and rhythm of connected speech in English.
3. Describe some of the minor processes of word formation in English and theircontribution to the enrichment of the English word-store.
4. What is a standard language? Discuss in detail the process of language standardization. 20
5. Analyse the following extract of a poem by Tennyson using the tools given to you in Block 9 of your Course.
Ring out, wild bells
Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
Ring out the grief that saps the mind
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.
Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.
Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.
Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.
Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.
Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.