The Indira Gandhi National Open University(IGNOU) has started a certificate program in Fashion Design. This course has been started by IGNOU under its Vocational Education and Training.
The program has been designed to train the students for working in the Indian apparel industry. The main drawback of the program is its medium of learning, as the program will taught only in English, however the IGNOU may launch the program in other Indian languages including Hindi.
an official statement said.
“Indian Apparel Industry is a labour intensive industry offering employment to approximately over 45 million people directly and 60 million people indirectly (IBEF, 2017). India enjoys comparative advantage in this industry due to (i) abundant supply of labour, and (ii) relatively low cost of labour,”
IGNOU Fashion Design course: Eligibility criteria
- The candidates need to possess a Higher Secondary (10+2) pass certificate
- Medium of Instruction: English
- Duration: Minimum 6 Months and Maximum 2 years
IGNOU Fashion Design course: Aim of the programme
The program aims at preparing students for employability in the Indian apparel industry. India enjoys comparative advantage in this industry due to (i) abundant supply of labour, and (ii) relatively low cost of labour.
Power of the course
- The program seeks to develop basic knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of fashion design
- Understanding of the fashion industry in India and across the globe
- Impart fundamental knowledge of textiles
- Impart skills in digital technology in CAD
- Develop knowledge and understanding of pattern making skills and sewing techniques
- Develop entrepreneurship and communication skills
This program by IGNOU will cater the needs of those who aspire to make their careers as:
- Assistant’s designers in the retail or export sectors
- Want to become entrepreneurs
- To update their existing knowledge and specifically in pattern making and sewing